St. Ruadhan of Lorrha founded a monastery on a raised island in the middle of the bog at Littleton.
It is called Derrynaflan (image most to the left above). It became famous when a 9th Century Chalice, paten, stand and strainer were found here in 1980, they are now in the National Museum in Dublin. Kilcooley Abbey is close to Littleton.
Kilcooly Abbey is on a private estate (Mr.P.D.Ponsonby). It is just outside Urlingford and lies within County Tipperary. Formally a Cistercian Abbey it was built in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St.Benedict. Built in about 1182 for the monks of Maigh Airbh by Donal Mor O'Brien, King of Thomond.
It was colonised from Jerpoint in 1184.
About four miles South West of Littleton stands the 16th Century Tower House and bawn called Grallagh as above.