In the Main street is a statue of
Charles J. Kickham (picture above), noted novelist and young Irelander.
It was designed by John Hughes in 1898.
Tipp Town Pub Sign
|Tipperary derives its name from Tiobrad Arann meaning the Well of Ara. It is a market town in the heart of the Golden Vale and it is on the main Limerick- Cashel road. Towards the end of the 12th C, King John built a castle here, and the town grew into an Anglo-Norman settlement.
An Augustinian Friary was founded in the 13th C. And all that remains is the chancel arch, which stands on the property of the Christian Brothers. On the same grounds are the ruined Abbey schools founded by Erasmus Smith (1611 to 1691). He used his wealth to found grammer schools in Ireland.
No town walls were built in Tipperary, although Edward the second made a grant available for that purpose.
In 1339 the town was burned by the O'Briens.
In 1598 after the Desmond wars Tipperary was listed as "waste".
John O'Leary (1830 to 1907) one of the Fenian leaders was a native of the town.
Churchwell, built by the landlord Stafford O'Brien
in 1833 (see below).
The Bridewell; in the year 1838 the High Sheriff Stephen O' Meagher wrote a letter to the Inspector General of Prisons and described the appalling conditions of this Prison. The Bridewell is now a Heritage and Genealogy centre (see below).
Muintir na Tire was founded by Fr. J.M.Hayes in 1931 (see below).
St. Michaels' Catholic church is Gothic in style and has fine lancet windows (picture below).
Tipperary is a good starting point for exploring the famous and very beautiful Glen of Aherlow
Above detail from the building fronts, Tipperary Town.
Decorative gateway arch: P.Coman Estab 1880.
Churchwell built by the landlord Stafford O'Brien.
The Bridewell; left above the prison buildings, Governors house centre of the two blocks,and right the exercise area to the rear. Now a Heritage and Genealogy Centre.
Where the Court House stands today there was once a Prison for petty offences. It had two day rooms, four cells and two yards. At one stage the prison was overcrouded with thirty prisoners. In the year 1838 the High Sheriff Stephen O' Meagher wrote a letter to the Inspector General of Prisons and described the appalling conditions of this Prison. The cells were below street level and were very damp. A new prison was built in 1842 behind the court house with two cell blocks and governers house between them. General Thomas F. Bourke led a rising at Ballyhurst outside Tipperary town, he was captured and taken to Tipperary Prison. He was then taken to Dublin jail and given a death penalty, but was released four years later. His defense lawyer was the famous Isaac Butt.
Today the Heritage and the Genealogical Centre is situated in the former prison.
The Heritage and Genealogical Centre are on this web site, with enquiry form.
The Bridewell entrance is just 200m from St. Michael's Church (as seen above).
Left above, St. Mary's and right, St.Michael's.
St.Mary's Church Of Ireland was built in 1831. The graveyard contains a tombstone to Christopher Emmet, grandfather of the patriot Robert Emmet. St. Michael's Catholic Church was built in 1859 it has fine lancet windows, and has a beautiful stone entrance to the main body of the church inside of the immediate entrance.
New Tipperary. Noted for its unusual wooden fronted buildings.
Muintir na Tire was founded by Very Rev Canon J.M.Hayes in 1931 (monument left).
The Very Reverend John M.Canon Hayes was Parish Priest of Bansha Kilmoyler from1946 until his death in 1957. He founded Muintir Na Tire (pronounced "Mween-tir nah teer-eh") in 1937. The organisation was based on the notion of developing communities by concentrating on an already existing unit-the parish. It started choral and dramatic societies, organised many different competitions and provided lectures on lots of topics.
It spread throughout Ireland and became a major force in the development of rural Ireland. It is still a strong and forward-looking organisation.
Very Rev Canon J.M.Hayes is buried at Bansha, just a short distance from Tipperary Town.
The Muintir na Tire Headquarters are located here in Tipperary Town.
Above Tipperary Town at Sunset March 18th '98